Jefferson County’s Neoclassical courthouse was constructed on top of Georgia’s “Old State House.” The County was created in 1796. Louisville, the county seat, served as the state capital from 1796 until 1806.
Monroe County, 1896
Like its neighbor in Butts County, the Monroe County courthouse was built in the High Victorian style by architectural firm Bruce & Morgan.
Meriwether County, 1904
Meriwether County’s first courthouse was built in 1832. The current Neoclassical style courthouse suffered extensive fire damage in 1976, three years after being added to the National Register of Historic Places.
DeKalb County, 1898
In use until a new courthouse was constructed in 1967, the old DeKalb County courthouse survived a push for demolition by the then Decatur mayor and local merchants, who thought the building and square inconvenient for their purposes. It is the fourth courthouse to serve the county. The second burned in 1842, and this building caught fire in 1916. It now houses the DeKalb History Center.
Gwinnett County, 1885
The Gwinnett Historic Courthouse was built 13 years after a fire burned down the original building. Since 1992, it has served as an event venue maintained by the Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation Department.
Stewart County, 1923
Stewart County’s fifth courthouse, this building replaced the similar brick courthouse, which was built in 1895-1896 and burnt in 1922. The clock tower was moved from the center of the structure to the front, and at some point it seems the cupola was lost.
Tift County, 1912
Built seven years after Tift County was incorporated, the courthouse was designed by William Augustus Edwards in the Beaux Arts style. Edwards also designed the Fannin County courthouse, in addition to many buildings at the University of Florida and other academic institutions in the Southeast.
Twiggs County, 1903
The Twiggs County courthouse was built in the Romanesque Revival style between 1902 and 1904. The architect was J.W. Golucke, who had a hand in designing 20 courthouses across Georgia. The original building was white. In 1979, the color was changed, and a lateral extension was added onto the east side.
Macon County, 1894
Macon County’s Romanesque style courthouse features both a bell and a clock in its tower. In 1856, the Georgia Assembly voted to move the county seat from Lanier to Oglethorpe after the Central of Georgia Railroad was built through the latter town. Today, Oglethorpe is one-third the size of Montezuma, its sister city on the opposite (eastern) side of the Flint River.
Telfair County, 1934
Marion County, 1850
Webster County, 1915
Talbot County, 1892
Ben Hill County, 1909
The first and only courthouse of Ben Hill County, this Classical Style building had a clock tower that collapsed into the lobby and was not replaced.
Wilcox County, 1903
The courthouse of Wilcox County towers over the little town of Abbeville. Erected in 1903, the building was designed in the Classical Revival style by Franklin Pierce Milburn, who aggressively promoted himself across the South. Milburn created buildings in “every Southern state apart from Mississippi,” including several other courthouses in Georgia, the South Carolina statehouse, and the Hotel Blanche in Lake City, Florida. This building replaced the original wooden courthouse of 1858, put up a year after Wilcox was formed. Abbeville is unique because it lies along the Ocmulgee River on the very eastern side of the county, which set it in contravention of a Georgia law that required county seats be central and convenient. In 1878, the state legislature allowed Wilcox County residents to petition for the relocation of the courthouse away from Abbeville. But nothing came of it, and the town was finally incorporated in 1883. Reportedly, Dodge County is now using part of this building to conduct its administrative services while it deals with an extreme pigeon situation in its own courthouse.
Schley County, 1899
The old 1858 courthouse was razed “for erection of a modern gasoline station” in 1937 (The Butler Herald).
Sumter County, 2008
Pulaski County, 1874
Bleckley County, 1914
Irwin County, 1910
The Irwin County courthouse was built in the Neoclassical style in 1910. It is the fourth courthouse to serve the county. The previous three were located in the former county seat of Irwinville and constructed in 1839, 1854, and 1883. Per its nomination to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, “the entire structure is in a poor state of repair, exuding an unkempt air. Unsightly wires wrap around the building and several storage shacks have been erected against the main facade.” H.C. Newman of Louisville, Kentucky was the original architect, and the name of his company, Fall City Construction, can be seen in the cornerstone.
Appling County, 1908
Turner County, 1907
Known mostly as a speed-trap on I-75, Turner County is another of those South Georgia counties in the lower bowels of the state legislated into existence at the turn of the 20th century. Travelers may know about the Crime and Punishment Museum (closed) or the annual festival honoring fire ants or — if they have local business — the cotton ginners and peanut shellers in town, but they probably have little acquaintance with the grand Classical Revival courthouse constructed on a downtown side street in 1907. Layering Neo-Georgian and Italianate styles, Macon architects Alexander Blair III and Peter E. Dennis imagined a building uniquely asymmetrical for its type, realized by a three-story campanile with a clock manufactured by E. Howard Watch & Clock Company — of Roxbury, Massachusetts — on the southwest corner. Dennis reportedly started Georgia’s oldest architectural firm, which would become Dennis & Dennis after his son joined him in 1912. Blair designed seven other courthouses in the state, as well as the Grand Opera House in Macon, which if the internet is to be believed, he accomplished at the age of 17.